Saturday 6 June 2009

Theory vs Practice

Any sciences student is familiar with the little Theory/Practice argument.  But when you apply that particular dichotomic pair to life and love, all bets are off.  Or in a less elegantly worded way, the shit hits the fan.  And I've been plagued with the "theorically" curse.  

I'm perfect for him.  On a theoretical level.  And I don't know if you've been following, but in life, practice pretty much kicks theory's ass.  Which doesn't bode well for me.

I once had a friend who told me I was the perfect girl for him.  He said I 'was cute, funny, smart and his parents loved me'.  Then he killed it by saying this was why we'd probably never work out as a couple.  Just the thing you want to hear when you really really like this guy.  

Alright, so... let me get this straight: you should only go out with people who are completely, utterly wrong for you.  Fair enough.  But the thing is, I've done the whole dating-the-wrong-guy thing.  All I want now is the right guy.  

The right guy who'll probably say "You're too perfect for me.  I'll come back to you when I'm done dating all those perfectly wrong girls.  See you in another life."    

So...despite what Paul might say, I am pretty much pathetic.  But at least, I'm not a coward (alright, reading previous posts might prove that statement false, but whatever).  Because most of the time, I think people go for the wrong person because they're scared.  Finding the right person can be scary, because the stakes are higher.  And so we go on a sabotaging quest in order to not get hurt, I guess.  Which isn't logical, but since when has logic had anything to do with love?

It's like the Archie situation.  Now, I grew up with that comics and I don't really know how a freckle-faced, red-haired teen going back and forth between two best friends is good role model material, but anyway... Apparently, Archie Andrews is ready to grow up, and is proposing to rich and bitchy brunette, Veronica Lodge.  While sweet, honest blonde Betty Cooper is kicked to the curb.  The usual consensus is that he chose wrong.  And indeniably, Veronica is all wrong for Archie, but to be honest, they deserve each other.  I always thought Betty deserved better than a guy who, were we in real life, would be titled a cheater.  And anyway, I've always been a Jughead fan, despite his apparent misogyny.  At least he wasn't all about playing games.  And he ate like an army, which is always something to look for in a guy.

My new resolution (which I hope I'll keep, unlike my new year's one) is to not let fear stop me from embracing love.  I want to regain that kind of faith I used to have, when I thought life could only get better.  Wish me luck.  I'm pretty sure it's gonna be one hell of a ride.  Paul will have something to laugh about when I'll tell him all about my lovescapades.

2 comments:

  1. I randomly found your blog and I must say that I absolutely loved this "Theory vs Practice" thingy! U're a good writer!
    -sohvi-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I've been following your blog for a while now and I love it! I hope you keep writing and publish more stuff soon!

    ReplyDelete